Sprite DLight Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[0.5 Windows] Application Crash on opening hight resolution images

2 posters

Go down

[0.5 Windows] Application Crash on opening hight resolution images Empty [0.5 Windows] Application Crash on opening hight resolution images

Post by Nicola Patti Sat Dec 31, 2016 5:11 am

Hi Dennis,
I've opened an genarated normal maps for .png files with resolution of 1024x1024, 2000x1000 and 4096x2056 and everything is perfect (just a little slow), but when I try to open a .png with resolution 8192x4096 (size 321Kb) the application crashes.

I tried to upload the image in this topic using serving.com but it says that is too large.
I can send an email with the image if you wish.

my system configuration is:
SO: Windows 10 Enterprise 64bit
Processor: Intel i5-5300 @2.30Ghz
RAM: 16Gb

Kind Regards,
Nicola

PS: Happy new year Very Happy

Nicola Patti

Back to top Go down

[0.5 Windows] Application Crash on opening hight resolution images Empty Re: [0.5 Windows] Application Crash on opening hight resolution images

Post by Dee Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:37 am

Hi Nicola,
Thanks for your feedback and happy new year to you, too.

Sprite DLight's algorithm to determine the shape volume for a Normal Map is pretty complex, and the complexity increases with the size of the image.
The bigger the image, the longer it takes, and at some point, the tool cannot process the image anymore, if it is extremely large. (you said the image is so big, it couldn't even be uploaded to be shown in this topic)
I have been trying to fix that without success so far.

As a quick and dirty workaround for now, I suggest you to scale the image down to something like 50% of its original size, process it and scale the Normal Map up to its original size in an external image editor. You will lose a bit of detail, but if you use a resampling filter like bilinear, the result should still be good enough that you will hardly notice.

Best,
Dennis

P.S. Please send me an email containing the image to experiment with. Maybe I can implement the automatic downscaling (and resampling to original size) of large sprites, which would also stop the app from crashing.
Dee
Dee
Admin

http://2deegameart.com

Back to top Go down

[0.5 Windows] Application Crash on opening hight resolution images Empty Re: [0.5 Windows] Application Crash on opening hight resolution images

Post by Nicola Patti Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:34 pm

Hi Dennis,
Sorry if i did not updated you with my problem, I came to the same conclusion which you suggest scaling the original size of the image as workaround and it works perfectly! Very Happy
Btw I think that the resolution (8192x4096) is really big and I told to my art designer that he can use a lower resolution without lose details. So I solved the problem at the source Very Happy Very Happy

Anyway I'll send you the image by email.

Regards,
Nicola

Nicola Patti

Back to top Go down

Post by Dee Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:40 pm

Hi Nicola,

Thanks for keeping me up to date on that. I am glad you are happy with the workaround, although I will try to implement a solution, since the tool already has a hard time with large sprites that are half the size of the one you had the crash with.
I have been looking into some things and I am working on a way to process each object of a sprite individually.
I also hope to be able to implement the downscaling for objects that are too large, without loosing too much of the quality.

I'll keep everyone up to date on that.
Dee
Dee
Admin

http://2deegameart.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down